Thursday, April 19, 2012

The New "it" Boy Band for this Decade

. . . or at least for the next year or so. 

In the 60's, it was the Beatles

The Osmonds ruled the 70's
along with the Puerto Rican boy band, Menudo (wow look at those outfits)


In the late 80's, the world was 'Hangin' Tough' with the New Kids on the Block
(I was SOO in love with this group).


The 90's and early 2000's brought us NSync and Backstreet Boys

So who's the new 'it' boy band for this decade?  Well if you have preteen or teenage daughters, you most likely already know (and probably know way more about them than you'd ever possibly want to). 

Introducing the new boyband for the 2010's! 
(imported straight from England + 1 Irish import)

ONE DIRECTION
My daughters have been talking about this band for months now and I had no idea who they were talking about.  They weren't being played on any radio stations, yet my daughters knew all their names, their songs, and all kinds of details about each one. ( I still don't know how that worked.)  I even got finagled into buying tickets to their upcoming concert months ago.  Finally, I saw them on the Today show a few months ago.  I lost all 'cool mom' points when all I could do is make fun of how stupid their hair was and how New Kids on the Block were better.  Man I must be getting old because I really sounded like my mom!  Long story short, I ordered my daughter a special edition CD for her birthday, and we listened to it at least 6 times during our long, Spring Break car trip.  Although I still think they have stupid hair, I have to admit their CD was pretty good, and I quickly found myself belting out the lyrics at the top of my lungs in harmony with my daughters.  <I'm pretty sure that earned me back some 'cool mom' points>.   They are even on the radio now.  So check them out if you haven't already heard of them.  You just might find them catchy too - especially this song.



**Beware:  If you become a fan, you'll have to pick a favorite like all true fans of a boy band do.   Amazingly in our family, nobody has the same favorite.  My 14 year old is in love with Harry (the one in the bottom left of the above picture); my almost 11 year old is OBSESSED with Liam (the bottom right); my 5 year old daughter loves Niall (the Irish blonde one); and I'm obviously too old to be picking favorites, but since my daughers insisted, I without hesitation picked Zayn (the dark haired one - mostly because his hair wasn't as stupid as the others).

Photobucket

7 comments:

Liesel said...

Hahaha! This post made me laugh. I hadn't ever heard of them but I listened and have to admit it was kind of catchy. I think I'll pick the one with curly hair and white shirt in the video. Lol. The darker one may not have the hair but the two stupid earrings turned me off. :)

Charissa said...

Agh! Menudos' outfits! Get it off! Get if off right now! I'll have to show my girls so they can die of laughter (I actually listened to them, but somehow-thankfully-never saw a picture of them).

Heidi said...

Okay after watching the video (love the song by the way...and I love Maddy's pick when he sings one on one to the girl) I would vote for Morganne's pick! Or Mally's. The dark hair guy's earrings are a total turn off and the one top right guys hair is absolutely horrendous! Why!! Great song and now I can see why your girls are always instagram-ing about them!! =)

dxeechick said...

hahaha this is too cute. i like the one with big big hair. he flips it pretty good. :)

carrie said...

hahaha - that was awesome

And I have to admit the first thing I thought of when the video started, and they then showed Zayn Malik (yes, I googled his name)...is looks to be the Kevin Richardson of Backstreet Boys.

Oh, the flashbacks I'm having. Ü

Andrea said...

Blech! I hate boy bands - all of them. It doesn't really matter how they look, does it, if it makes your stomach turn to have to listen to them. I hope my girls read my comment - this is really for them!

Marcy said...

I think I'm going to have to go with Morganne! and while I'm not a big fan of boy bands in general, they do have some catchy tunes!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...